Compliance with the National Electrical Code is a major concern for today’s engineers, designers and electricians. On the one hand, you need to keep job costs down. On the other hand, your electrical projects must meet code. And if you are an electrical inspector, you’ve got to ensure compliance with the code in a way that is fair, accurate, equitable, and consistent.
The need to understand and accurately apply the NEC is great. But, the NEC is huge—the loose-leaf binder version, for example, is nearly 800 pages. Complicating this further, the NEC can be downright confusing.
Even common applications make NEC training essential. For example, consider those tables in Article 310. Do you really understand how to size conductors? Do you understand when to use the 90 degree column and when not to? Do you know when to use Table 310.17 rather than 310.16, or 310.19 rather than 310.17? How do you apply these tables when sizing feeders for motor circuits? What about motor branch circuits? A wrong answer to any of these questions can be costly.
How can you make sure you get this right? How will you ever rise above the confusion?
Fortunately, there’s an answer. And it’s from internationally recognized NEC expert Mike Holt. That answer is Mike Holt’s Illustrated Guide to Understanding the National Electrical Code, Volume 1. This resource has proven itself in the field and in the exam room. And now you can rely on the latest edition to provide you with the rock-solid foundation of NEC knowledge you need to do your job with accuracy and confidence.
Some highlights of what’s you will understand after using this outstanding resource:
- Article 90. Know the purpose and scope of the NEC, and understand how it’s arranged so you can quickly find what you need.
- Chapter 1. Become familiar with the general requirements that apply to all installations. You’ll understand NEC terminology, which wiring methods are suitable, and the truth about space requirements.
- Chapter 2. Know the requirements for neutrals, branch circuits, feeders, outside wiring, and services. You’ll obtain competence and confidence in sizing and applying circuit protection. You’ll also understand how grounding and bonding differ, and how to apply the concepts properly in the real world.
- Chapter 3. Don’t run afoul of the requirements for conductors, enclosures, fittings, cable assemblies and raceways. Do you know how the rules for EMT differ from those for RMC? What about armored cable? Which conductor is right for the job?
- Chapter 4. Cords, switches, receptacles, panelboards, and lighting are just some of the Chapter 4 topics you must understand to avoid code violations. Don’t let Article 430—the largest of the NEC Articles—be a “motor mystery” to you. And don’t let the rules for generators, transformers, or capacitors continue to confuse you.
This textbook covers the following topics:
•Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Equipment
•Armored Cable (Type AC)
•Branch-Circuit, Feeder, and Service Calculations
•Cabinets, Cutout Boxes, and Meter Socket Enclosures
•Conductors For General Wiring
•Electrical Metallic Tubing
•Electrical Nonmetallic Tubing
•Fixed Electric Space-Heating Equipment
•Flexible Cords and Flexible Cables
•Flexible Metal Conduit
•Grounding and Bonding
•High-Density Polyethylene Conduit
•Intermediate Metal Conduit
•Lighting Systems Operating at 30 V or Less
•Liquidtight Flexible Metal Conduit
•Liquidtight Flexible Nonmetallic Conduit
•Luminaires, Lampholders, and Lamps
•Motors, Motor Circuits, and Controllers
•Nonmetallic Underground Conduit with Conductors
•Outlet and Device Boxes
•Power and Control Tray Cable
•Pull and Junction Boxes
•Requirements for Electrical Installations
•Rigid Metal Conduit
•Rigid Nonmetallic Conduit
•Strut-Type Channel Raceways
•Surface Metal Raceways
•Surface Nonmetallic Raceways
•Switchboards and Panelboards
•Transformers and Transformer Vaults
•Transient Voltage Surge Suppressors
•Underground Feeder and Branch-Circuit Cable
•Use and Identification of the Grounded Neutral Conductor
Product Code: 05UND1
ISBN 2: 978-1-932685-16-9
Price: $59.00 $25.00