Major changes in the 2014 NEC meet consumer demand for alternate energy, green technologies, and IT equipment:
* New Article 694 has first-time requirements for small wind electric systems.
* Revised Article 625 includes updates on safe battery charging for plug-in hybrid vehicles that reduce the risk of explosion.
* Revised Article 705 covers interconnecting generators, windmills, and solar and fuel cells with other power supplies.
* New Article 840 addresses the increased demand for broadband communications systems with requirements for wireless, routers, and wireless disconnects.
New requirements focused on workplace safety include:
* Means to reduce incident energy (240.87)
* Labeling at subpanels to identify feeder supply source (408.4(B))
* Disconnecting means for transformers (450.14)
Bottom line: The 2014 NEC sets a new benchmark for safe electrical design, installation, and inspection.
Product Code: 14PB