This Second Edition text covers electrical safety requirements and safety-related work practices of OSHA and the National Fire Protection Association electrical safety in the workplace code, NFPA 70EĀ®.
Specific topics include electrical safety culture, hazard awareness, design considerations, electrical safety program, training, calculation of short-circuit currents, arc flash hazard analysis methods, PPE, and equipment maintenance.
Chapters explore calculations required to comply with NFPA 70E, and techniques that can be applied to significantly reduce or eliminate electrical hazards.
New and exciting chapter features enhance learning and synthesis of the material. These include:
Current Knowledge include Ready for Review a bulleted summary of the chapter's key points; a useful tool for study and review and Vocabulary with definitions taken from key sources such as NFPA 70E and OSHA.
- Chapter Outline lists the chapter's main topics, providing an overview of what will be learned.
- Open Case begins each chapter with an official National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Fatality Assessment and Control Evaluation (FACE) case study, accompanied by two critical thinking questions to focus the readers attention.
- References are listed for the reader to consult.
- Learning Objectives outline the main goals of the chapter-what the reader should understand upon completion.
- Figures showcase photos and illustrations from leading electrical safety product manufacturers, reflecting current products and equipment.
- Key Excerpts from key sources are clearly identified by indented, smaller type.
- Tables display numerical information in an easy-to-read format.
- Vocabulary terms are bolded and underlined in the chapter prose. Terms are defined at the end of the chapter and in the book's glossary.
- Calculations are displayed in an easy-to-read design and explained step-by-step, facilitating comprehension of equations and their application.
- 70E Highlights emphasize important points of excerpts from NFPA 70E that directly relate to the material being discussed at this point in the chapter.
- Background Boxes include additional information or background information that may be beyond the chapter's scope, but helpful to the reader.
- OSHA Tips discuss OSHA requirements that relate to material being discussed at this point in the chapter.
- Caution Boxes note specific safety tips that are important for workers to remember on the job.
- Lessons Learned conclude each chapter with a FACE case study accompanied by multiple-choice questions about the case-allowing the student to synthesize the information learned and apply it to a real-life case.
Product Code: 70ELECSAF