Email this page to a friend or associate!
  Mike Holt Code Forum
  Archives
  RV Pedestals

register | my profile | faq | archive search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Information Topic:   RV Pedestals

Name: Jim Schroeder
Email: jds@boreal.org
Title: Contractor
In Trade Since: 1988
Total Posts: 2

posted November 12, 2002 at 06:52 PM       Edit/Delete Message
I have read previous discussions about providing an EGC and grounding RV pedestals with a ground rod. What is the final verdict on the proper way to ground a loop feed RV pedestal supplied from a combination service device(meter socket/ panel with service disconnect)that is grounded at the transformer.

The Pedestal is listed as "suitable for use as recreational vehicle site supply equipment".

The neutral is not bonded to the metal frame and a separate ground lug is provided.

Thank you.

IP: 216.70.15.127

Name: Eric Land
Email: landelectric@hotmail.com
In Trade Since: 1969
Total Posts: 82

posted November 13, 2002 at 02:13 AM       Edit/Delete Message
The RV ped is Service Equipment. Bond the Neutral and provide Earth and Plumbing bonds(if metalic pipe) at each space. The loadcenter within th RV itself is a Sub-Panel and has an isolated Neutral. The Feeder can be three conductors only with no Eq.Gr. conductor.

IP: 66.118.195.217

Name: Eric Land
Email: landelectric@hotmail.com
In Trade Since: 1969
Total Posts: 82

posted November 13, 2002 at 02:26 AM       Edit/Delete Message
Correction: I just looked it up, I might have been wrong (it's happened before) check out NEC '02 551.76 (A) + (D)

I'd get an oppinion from your inspector in advance.

IP: 66.118.195.217

Name: Grant Rollins
Email: grollins@rexelusa.com
Title: Contractor/Distributor
In Trade Since: 1965
Total Posts: 449

posted November 14, 2002 at 12:15 PM       Edit/Delete Message
Jim, Take a look at 551.76. RV Pedestals SHALL BE GROUNDED by a continuous EGC run with the feeder conductors for the pedestal row. 551.76 (C), The neutral SHALL NOT be used as an EGC. Having said all of this, ground rods at each pedestal would not be required, however after much investigation, in California for some reason, the AHJ wants ground rods at each pedestal and NO EGC run with the feeders. No matter which method is used, the neutral is not grounded or bonded at the pedestals.

IP: 12.18.100.210

Name: Wayne Foster
Email: hurk27@attbi.com
Title: Electrician
In Trade Since: 1976
Total Posts: 768

posted November 15, 2002 at 01:12 AM       Edit/Delete Message
"the AHJ wants ground rods at each pedestal and NO EGC run with the feeders. No matter which method is used, the neutral is not grounded or bonded at the pedestals."

Talk about a dangerous setup if a appliance were to go to ground the earth would not provide a low enough impedance path to trip a 5 amp breaker!!! and the whole RV would be hot to earth!! could you imagine what would happen if a elderly couple touch the door and fell dead. guess whoo they would go after? the installer not the local AHJ.

80.29 Liability for Damages.
Article 80 shall not be construed to affect the responsibility or liability of any party owning, designing, operating, controlling, or installing any electric equipment for damages to persons or property caused by a defect therein, nor shall the _____ or any of its employees be held as assuming any such liability by reason of the inspection, reinspection, or other examination authorized.

IP: 12.247.65.43

All times are EST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Contact Us | Mike Holt Enterprises, Inc.