Here are two pics of a APC power bar. This bar "blew" when an electrician was moonlighting (not employed by a licensed electrical contractor) and attempted to tighten a corroded main neutral lug on a 120/208 VAC panel.

When tightening the screw, he broke it and lifted the neutral.  The voltage imbalance caused a large voltage to appear on the surge protector; which in turn conducted to prevent the surge.  The carpet under it was also burned. The PC the surge protector was connected to survived.

The electrician was unemployed and tried to make a few bucks on the side. The total damage was 1000's, and he had no insurance, bonding, or if an accident happened, no Workers Compensation.

The following was submitted by Erling Lassesen - adtech@telus.net

Mike Holt's Comment: If you have any comments or feedback, please let me know, Mike@MikeHolt.com

Copyright © 2003 Mike Holt Enterprises,Inc.
1-888-NEC-CODE (1-888-632-2633)